The Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSA) framework, is a series of narrative statements that, along with résumés, determines who the best applicants are when several candidates qualify for a job. The knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSAs) necessary for the successful performance of a position are contained on each job vacancy announcement. They are:
- Knowledge –
- defined as the body of info that cab be applied in helping to do the job.
- the subjects, topics, and items of information that an employee should know at the time he or she is hired or moved into the job.
- Can be quantified via federal regulations, document preparation practices, engineering practices or AI (chatGPT)
- Skills –
- technical or manual proficiencies which are usually learned or acquired through training.
- can be developed with practice or training
- Abilities –
- is the capacity to perform where a skill is the actual performing and difficult to quantify.
- the present demonstrable capacity to apply several knowledge and skills simultaneously in order to complete a task or perform an observable behavior.
- typically are tasks completed on the job.
- The ability to organize, to analyze issues, to communicate verbally and in writing.
How to write a KSA statement
- Prepare a short summary or range of appropriate skills in the relevant area.
Review the job description to gather the requirements for the role. Identify keywordsin relation to the skills needed and add them to the beginning of your KSA. This summary should be one or two sentences.
- Describe the situation or context.
Describe the challenge or issue you faced in one of your past jobs. If you’re an entry-level candidate, you can use an example from a school project or internship. Make sure to include as many details as you can.
- Explain the task.
Describe your role in the situation. You could use your specific job title or your part in the challenge. For example, you could explain that you were a financial analyst or that you were leading the specific budgeting project.
- Describe your actions.
Include the actions you took to overcome the challenge. You can write about how others may have assisted you, but make sure to keep the focus on yourself.
- Detail the results. Describe the outcome of your actions. You can detail the actual results of your actions and what you learned during the process. Try to quantify the results with data and statistics to create a greater effect.
Sample
Knowledge, skills and abilities statement
Review this KSA example for reference:
Demonstrated creativity, analytical thinking and leadership skills by the ability to stay within budget.
As a payroll manager, I was responsible for monitoring, tracking and controlling the annual budget of $500,000 for two offices. My job included report generation, trend tracking, anticipating shortfalls and drafting requests for additional funds. I also was responsible for auditing to ensure that funds were justified and properly allocated.
In 2017, our budget was reduced to $475,000, meaning I needed to eliminate excess in the offices. To focus on budget cuts, I delegated my report generation and trend tracking duties to senior payroll clerks who were more than capable of completing the tasks. Next, I gathered all of the office-related expenses for the past five years, including salary amounts. I ran several analyses comparing different cuts and how they would affect the offices.
After reviewing all of the analyses, I realized it would be nearly impossible to make the necessary cuts without letting someone go. Instead of making that decision, I performed more research into other departments that experienced the same cuts. I found that the research and development department had recently received a grant to supplement their budget. I met with my most senior payroll clerk, and together we created a grant proposal to cover the additional $25,000. We received the grant and were able to keep all department members.
Links:
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knowledge,_Skills,_and_Abilities
- KSA Statements