Pages

Friday, June 18, 2010

Einstein's Chauffeur

Einstein's Theory of Relativity is regarded as one of the most important  contributions in the twentieth century. In 1921, Einstein was awarded the Nobel Prize for physics. A number of well-known universities invited him to give speeches at their campus.

Once, on the way to a university, his chauffeur said to him, 'Doctor, I have heard your speeches for numerous times. I believe I will speak as well as you if given the chance to stand at the rostrum.'

Einstein understood the chauffeur's intention, so he joked, 'That's a good idea! Since nobody in this university recognizes me, why not you speak on behalf of me. It us really great I can take a good rest then.'

The chauffeur was overjoyed. He acted as Einstein while Einstein the chauffeur.

As expected, the speech by the chauffeur was a great success and won the audience's thunderous applause. However, during the interaction session after the speech, a student raised a question which had not been heard about by the chauffeur. The chauffeur thus could not answer it. Having no answer in mind, he was embarrassed. Luckily, he soon had a brainwave and said, 'This question is too simple. I'll let my chauffeur answer it.' Einstein answered the question immediately and so the chauffeur was out of the embarrassment.