4 types of Unconscious Biases in our Workplace:
Confirmation Bias
We see what we want to see.
Unconsciously, we seek information to prove what we already believe and ignore, or dismiss contradicting evidence or data.
I've only heard great things about my new manager! The one person who had negative things to say must have had a bad review.
Attribution Error
We think other people's behavior is driven by who they are.
On the other hand, we view our own behavior as a result of our circumstances.
They're late because they're disorganized. I'm late because I had to drop off my child at school.
Overconfidence Bias
We overestimate our own abilities.
Unconsciously, we think we're better-than-average at judging character or at being ethical, which can impact hiring and career decisions.
I trust my judgement, and I know a winner when I see one. Let's hire them!
Implicit Bias
We use learned associations as shortcuts to categorize people.
Unconsciously, we relate individuals or groups with media portrayals and cultural characterizations we've been submerged in our whole lives.
I know women and men are equally good at math and science. So why is it that when I envision an engineer it's always a man?